Friday, August 21, 2009

Week 4 - MTC e-mail August 21, 2009

August 21, 2009

No more English for our district... instead of fasting food, we fast English! And it is awesome!!!!!!!

Our teacher has really pushed us. we are almost done with 9 weeks’ worth of grammar! :-) It’s a lot. I think I understand most of it. Ya, I do... so josh, you're testimony en espanol was amazing! Just a couple mistakes, BUT, there were two awesome things from it. One, that you did that, and two, that I could understand it. Something must be working here at the MTC. So, two days ago I had a rough day. Spanish wasn't coming easily and there was a lot of tension in my companionship. In the middle of the class room, I knelt and prayed that I would receive a witness of the spirit of my progress as a missionary and in my Spanish. AND THAT WAS ANSWERED!!! Boy was it... I shared a spiritual thought to the class. The first for our class... because of solo espanol. sooo.... I shared 3 Nephi 11:11... I bore testimony of the Book of Mormon. How it contains the writing of ancient prophets on the American continent... how it testifies of Christ and the restoration... I have never before wept in my life wept while I bore my testimony. I have never before felt the spirit that strongly while I have born testimony. It is by far the most amazing experience I have had here. It is a testimony to me that I am here because I am supposed to be. That the Savior is my redeemer. That it is Him that is speaking through me. That if I do all I can to be obedient and work hard, that I can be an instrument and disciple of Christ. I would ask all of you that read this, to ask yourself. Are you SEEKING Jesus Christ? Ether 12:41. It truly is something different to SEEK Jesus Christ. To seek His LIGHT and Understanding in all things. I would challenge all of you to do that. I promise you that you will see miracles in your life...

Also, another thought. I have always found it sometimes a struggle, to have a question, or a question that an investigator might have and look to the scripture for the answer. Instead, now I am trying to look at it as, reading the scripture and asking myself, what question does this scripture answer.

After this amazing experience of sharing a thought in espanol... I was so pumped that I wanted to teach a lesson. In class, we started to prepare a lesson to give other companionships... we had the choice to do it in English or Spanish... I was all about the Spanish. I am amazed of how much I understand. The lord is definitely by my side helping me every step of the way. There is no way I could have done this much on my own. I owe Him everything that I have. This is truly the Lord’s time. And I am trying with all my heart to do my best.

It is so important to listen to the spirit. I have found that during the week, it is time to prepare, that while you teach (on Friday) that you just have to have faith that the Lord will make up the rest. That is what happened a couple days ago. We had a practice for our task on Friday with one of the instructors. We were so caught up in trying to speak Spanish that we weren't listening to the spirit. We asked the investigator if he felt anything while he prayed. He said he did. He felt peace. I could of sworn he said he didn't feel anything. So I go and start testifying about Moroni’s promise. Muy impiortante, corozon sincero y verdadaro intencia.... well, even if I didn't understand the Spanish, the spirit would have told me what he felt. We should have committed him to baptism right away... se bautizara? Well, we all laughed and I learned a huge lesson. I will try my absolute hardest to never let that happen again. I’m glad I got that out of the way in the MTC :-)

I am soooooooo EXCITED for the temple dedication!!!! It is so powerful to sit in a room with 2500 missionaries singing called to serve and listening to general authorities, but to stand with them doing the Hosanna shout twirling our white handkerchiefs in the air! OH MAN! I am like a little school girl jumping up and down I am soooo excited! I let you know all about it in the next email!

So, last time I tried to write a email, it got deleted. :-( and I didn't get to say all I wanted... so..

Elder Nelson has made a complete 180 and in my opinion, one of the strongest elders in our district now. It was a refining experience for him and our district, but it strengthened us all. It let us know that we are indeed called of God and supposed to be here. I dont have time to go into detail, but it has truly been a miracle. He was just called as district leader. :-) Way cool! We all saw it coming!

It was hard to say good bye to the last district. I was very close with the Hermanas and a couple of the Elders. They were really key in my transition at the MTC and getting my feet under me. Kick ball just isn't quite the same. People come and go a lot here, but we have one thing that we always have in common, we are Disciples of Christ. We all miss home, we all have sacrificed, and we all love the Lord. I have enjoyed getting to know so many wonderful people. My "grandma and grandpa" I call them, just left for the Philippines. They were so awesome. Every night at dinner they would come and check on me. There are just so many wonderful people here. I love it!!!

I got to sit in the hall way before the NY missionaries left and I got to tell them my conversion story. It was so amazing. For all of us, whenever we feel down, look back to the time you were converted. It brings me so much strength. I look back and think, how did I do that? How did I have the strength to overcome that? Well, the Lord’s hands are in everything... I shared my experiences of coming unto Christ, and I felt closer to him. When was the last time you shared your testimony or conversion? I would ask you to do that... often. The light of Christ will brighten in you when you realize how much the Savior has done for you.

Thank you, Uncle Steve, for your wonderful thoughts about how to love. I have the list hanging on my mirror in my room... I try to apply it every day! It works! Zion is true and alive!

Chris, I really have to thank you! …for your birthday present… the list of scriptures of encouragement. I read that before bed one night. I think Monday, or the night I got it in the mail. Well, the next morning during study before breakfast, I wrote them on the board. While I was writing them, all I could hear behind me was the rustle of scripture pages. Every person in that room needed that! We refer back to them often. I’m going to make a card and laminate it and put it in my scriptures.

The Lord is in your life. Just seek to find Him. He is waiting with out-stretched hands. All we have to do is reach for him!

I love all of you! I am grateful for everyone in my life that has gotten me here. I love serving the LORD! Here I come, Tampa! :-)

Hermana Vaughan-Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment