Sunday, September 27, 2009

Last Week in the MTC - September 25 e-mail

Friday, September 25, 2009

Oh my, I don't even know where to start!

I am going to miss the MTC SSSOOOOOO much! The MTC is definitely hard, but I have met so many amazing people. It is the perfect environment to engulf yourself in the gospel. The amount of learning is unbelievable. I cannot wait to return when my husband and I serve a mission.

More thoughts on the MTC... Anyone who reads this and is thinking about going on a mission, GO! That is the leap of faith Heavenly Father wants you to take. As I have talked to so many people, they all came for different reasons. Whether it be, “it is what we're supposed to do”, or “my family wants me to”... even, “a girl won't marry me unless I go.” But I can guarantee you that everyone leaves the MTC and goes into the field with the same reason; to serve Jesus Christ. It is amazing. The MTC is a refiner’s fire. You are tired all of the time, don't really get any personal time... you totally submit your will to the LORD and truly forget yourself. Once you find this, then you feel happiness you have never felt before. It is sooo true! Ahh, I’m going to miss it terribly; but, now it is on to the real reason I came on a mission, to serve the Lord and loose myself in the service of the people in Tampa.

Any takers on where my first area is?! I was excited to hear the President Southworth’s son and wife are in Tampa. I’ll definitely have to make a dinner appointment if I’m in their area. :-)

We were in a large group meeting and the speaker was talking about the time when he got back from his mission and how sad he felt when he took his name tag off. I started to cry. President Southworth, I am not looking forward to that day. I will proudly accept it, and I hope I can look back and say I did a good job. But honestly, I’m going to cry like a little baby. I just know. So, I am apologizing in advanced.

Doris is doing amazing! Well on her way into reactivation! :-) Yay!!!! It makes me so happy. I was really amazed on all the feedback I got from people for singing to her on the phone. I think, just like how in John14:26-27, every person has the light of Christ, and their testimony is brought back to their remembrance. This last week I have done a great deal of pondering on my conversion with the opportunity to address the sisters at the MTC and some of the area leaders and share my conversion. I really noticed how influential the Light of Christ really is. That is what I saw in the people in the Gospel. That is what I wanted but I didn't know where to find it. Through some rather unusual circumstances, and for that I am eternally grateful, I came to the knowledge of these wonderful things. I know that God has a plan for me personally, and every one of his children. My brothers and sisters, isn't that soooo amazing! I know that everything in this life that seems unfair can be made right through the atonement of Jesus Christ. I know that I would have never been healed from the struggles that I have had, both done to me and mistakes that I have made, without this knowledge. I want soooo badly for people to know this. I want so badly to be an instrument in the Lord’s hands so the spirit can touch people the same way it did me when I sat across the table from the missionaries. I know when you have a witness like this (as an investigator) and it may seem impossible to make the commitment to be baptized... maybe because of family or an addiction... but I know the promise in 1 Nephi 7 is so true, more now than ever. I clung to these verses, v.8 that I might be an example, v.12 that I might have this faith to have v.17, my bands broken. I know this can be true for everyone. I want to share this with the people in Tampa. I shared these scriptures when I spoke in relief society. I told the sisters that they could promise this to the investigators. If they submit their will to the Lord’s and have faith in Him, then He WILL break their bands. I look at my life now, and I feel so amazingly blessed!!! Heavenly Father really does take care of you.

Something that struck me today in the temple as I was sitting in the Celestial Room, is how important it is to preach the gospel 2 by 2. I think that is the biggest mistake Adam and Eve made, was to not be 2 by 2 and it allowed Satan to tempt them. It is sooo important. If anyone thinks that because they are a missionary that Satan won't tempt them, or that their struggles from before will go away, it is wrong. Satan does everything he can to make a missionary not feel good enough or tries to falter a missionary’s testimony. The first week here I was numb, I didn't know what was going on... the second week, I think I was shown my weaknesses. I think Heavenly Father wants us to know our weaknesses, so we can recognize His help in all things and that we cannot do it alone without Him. I know it is Satan that makes a person not feel good enough for something or someone. We need to know our weaknesses so we can make them stronger. I am not good at learning languages. If you put a physiology book in front of me and I am all good and loving it. So, I fully know that every bit of Spanish I can speak is because it is given to me from God. There is absolutely no way I could do it on my own. I reached my goal. I can teach every lesson in Spanish. I tried to exercise as much faith as I could. A week ago I would have said it was impossible. I just know now that Heavenly Father will have me teach the law of chastity first week or something. :-) Fun-fun!

Love you all!!!

Hermana Vaughan-Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment