Monday, November 29, 2010

One Month To Go

Well we have three amazing sisters here in the Rio Vista ward. Hermana Phelps from the Bay Area in California joined us last Tuesday. Double training is great! We make quite the trio!

One month. Just even writing that puts a pretty large lump in my throat. More and more people are talking about me going home. I am a little nervous to say the least, but I received such a tender mercy from the Lord.

On our way to Tampa to pick up Sister Phelps we drove through St. Petersburg. The entire 2 and a half hour drive I sat and reflected on my mission. As I held in my hands pictures of the people that I have found and walked into the waters of baptism. Oh what great joy was I filled with, but also sadness, because I love the people here with ALL of my heart. I was brought to tears and couldn't utter a word. As I saw the first sign that read "St. Petersburg" I got so excited and screamed it, "ST. PETE!!!" All of a sudden I became like a little girl in a candy shop. As we drove down good ol' highway 19 (i could probably count the number of cracks in the side walk from riding my bike on it so much ;-) ) I was like, "Oh! That’s where the Saldivars are, oh, there is where we found Virginia, oh, that’s where I was hit by a red Mini Cooper on my bike, ooohhh, I don't like that street at all, that’s where the evil water tower lady is, oh, that’s where we found Peggy and she painted the picture of the Sacred grove, that’s where..." over and over again. A flood of just wonderful memories came into my mind. That sorrow that I felt was immediately filled with a joy that is only describable in the words of Ammon.

Alma 26:10-12

“And it came to pass that when Ammon had said these words, his brother Aaron rebuked him, saying: Ammon, I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting. But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.”

I feel so content with my mission. I do not feel regret. It was in that moment that I felt the spirit of the Lord confirm to me that the Lord was pleased with me. As I reflected on so many of the miracles that I witnessed that I know it was only by the Grace of the Lord that they were brought about. By His power. I LOVE MY MISSION! More than anything, I love my Savior and my best friend. All I have wanted on my mission is to "become" a missionary. I still have a lot of work to do... ;-)

A little bit of funnies...

I got food poisoning for the first time on my mission. Fun stuff. Thank you sis Quiones for taking care of me. ;-)

We made gingerbread houses with our investigators and our recent converts last night using Helaman 5:12.

Love you,

Hermana Vaughan-Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment